Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary to ME!

Yesterday marked the 7th anniversary of my becoming a mother. We welcomed Cayden Jerod into our lives 7 years ago on January 13th. And since we don't make a big deal of birthdays, this is a nice way to recognize the day for what it is-a very special day. A day I will never forget for as long as I live. It gives me a chance to reflect on how my life has changed since then. It's crazy to think that so much time has passed and for me to think of him as a squawking, pink, scrunched up little cutie newborn, it seems like yesterday. Wow, it does bring tears to my eyes. Now he is reading, learning new things every day, reasoning on things like a little adult, asking such grown-up questions, can he really be 7?

I remember when he was about 1 1/2 - 2 and we were having such horrible sleeping issues with him; and the night terrors-goodness-I never want to go back to that phase. At the time, other moms would offer advice and assure me that he would grow out of it soon. To me, "soon" could never come soon enough; lack of sleep makes a mommy cranky.

But you know what? "Soon" did come and now that whole thing is a distant memory. And now I have a kind, loving, adorable,creative, bright, sensitive, funny young man who makes my heart swell just thinking about him. And you know what? When I look back at Cayden's baby pictures, I don't think about the many, many sleepless nights we had with him, I think about how so stinkin' cute he was and the funny things he did to make me laugh. That's what being a parent is all about now, isn't it? Otherwise, no one would have more than one kid.

So, happy anniversary to me....I take a little bit of pride in knowing that I have brought a great little boy into this world....

No comments: