Monday, October 23, 2006

As if we didn't know summer was gone..

OK, flurries in October I can handle, but accumulating snow that doesn't melt away for a couple of days? That is a little too much. If this is a sign of things to come, it'll be a LLONNNGGG heating season. Last year was bad enuf, so I'm wondering what I can sell in order to help pay my Alliant bill this year. My head hurts to think of it-so change of subject!

Aunt Jess and Uncle Shane thoughtfully invited the boys to accompany them to Jess's parents' house Sunday afternoon for a family get-together. So we had a quiet house! How sad is it that when I know that I have some time to myself that I wonder what grown-up movie I can watch? I could take advantage of the time and go through the toys and "weed" out what isn't needed or ones that are missing pieces or broken. Or I could organize my bathroom closet that seems to collect the things I don't have a place for. Nope- I watched a "Smallville" episode and threw laundry in the washer. BORING! Later, Jerod and I went out to Todd and Misty's house. Jerod set a couple of doors in their basement and I enjoyed visiting with the girls. After dinner, Brit and Val played 3 violin duets for us. Lovely! They are really good! I was impressed.

Wes and Deliverance Riley and kids are coming this weekend for a visit. I'm looking forward to spending time with them. Well, technically, Wes and Jerod will be hunting every day, but Deliverance and I will have plenty of catch-up time to visit. I hope the kids do well. Perhaps Saturday we will drive down to Dubuque to the Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium just for something to do. It's not much compared to the Milwaukee Zoo, but it's a lot closer!

Last Sunday I spent the afternoon at Carrie Palacios' house and scrapped for about 4 hours in her basement. It was so nice. John took care of the kids so we were totally uninterrupted. In the end, I think we talked more than scrapped, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and hope to do it again soon.

Last Friday Cayden's Kindergarten class had their first field trip to a local pumpkin patch/market. He was so stoked about riding on a school bus, bless his heart! The weather was bitterly cold, so they didn't stay as long as planned, but long enough to go through the corn maze and to pick out a pumpkin to bring home. Cayden is insisting on me making a pumpkin pie from his 2 pumpkins. So here's the deal, I have never made anything from a real pumpkin b/4. It should be interesting. If nothing else, we can roast the seeds and eat them, right? I'll have to surf the web to find myself an easy pie recipe that calls for real pumpkin instead of the canned stuff.

Kieran has been really intent on learning letters of the alphabet and can recognize over half of the alphabet. The trick is to catch him in a "learning mode" otherwise he will have nothing to do with "book learning" It's amazing that he is trying to write his name already and can make K, I, R, N. So I've been trying to work with him on the "E" and "A". I'm pretty proud of him.

OK, that's all for now. Next post, I'll try to get some pix on.

No comments: