Friday, February 15, 2008

I can now officially say that I have become a statistic..

OK, so every winter you hear of the influenza outbreak state by state, and how there is x number of cases of people diagnosed with the flu. I always took a small amount of pride knowing that I was not one of those numbers. "Flu shot? Bah, that is for wussies" I'd think.

Well, guess who has now joined the ranks of the thousands who've contracted the flu? You guessed it, me. No, no, no, not the stomach, puke-your-guts-out flu. Everybody gets that. This is the light-headed, cold sweats, fever shakes, coughing until your sides hurt and you see points of light at the edges of your eyes, head pounding and body aching so badly that it hurts to blink kind of flu. I can assure you that I have never had this extreme of flu before. I would've remembered.

Between the boys and I, we came home with an impressive array of prescriptions from the doctor yesterday. I have some pill for the flu symptoms, a very powerful and slightly scary cough medicine. By scary, I mean, the "extra" stuff in the cough medicine to help me sleep put me into a daze 20 minutes after I took it. I also was given an Albuterol inhaler to help with the coughing fits. Thank goodness. I haven't coughed too much today. I'm greatful for that. Cayden came home with some anti-fungal cream to treat a ringworm rash that will not go away and Kieran has his own version of cough medicine laced with codeine to help him sleep, since his cough is much worse than mine.

We have beeen sleeping well, so far, at least. We'll see about tonight. I've been spraying Lysol disinfectant like crazy on my pillows and on various surfaces around the house to try to to stop the spread of the germs that I have. God forbid my kids catch what I have. I can't even imagine how sick they'd be. I'd feel so sorry for them, that I'd probably have them on my lap for 2 days straight.

So, I hope by my next post, we'll all be much better. I can only hope and pray.

No comments: